Monday 13 June 2011

If only....

The new Riverside Museum  will be open next week, on the 21st to be exact. I'm looking forward to seeing it as I always enjoyed visits to the old Transport Museum. To be honest I'm old enough to remember the previous one where the Tramway now is! As my grandfather was a railwayman I was shown the trains with particular enthusiasm.

My favourite part of the Kelvin Hall incarnation of the museum was the 1930s street, with reputed ghost and all! The lighting, underground station, cinema all gave a convincing back in time feel. The only flaw was that you couldn't enter the shops, which they got round by setting the street in early evening just after closing time. I believe the new museum has an improved and enlarged streetscape which I'm looking forward to seeing. Better I hope than the Museum of London's 'street' which could've been marvelllous but suffered from being too indoors with too many cutaway shopfronts giving a rather dolls house feel to it. The Glasgow one on the other hand felt like a real street. So fingers crossed it lives up to expectations.

Now what I really, REALLY wish they'd have on the street is something like this...


George Eastman House Collection

So if anyone from Glasgow Life is reading this....give me a shout. I'd be more than happy to keep shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment